Friday, April 18, 2008

The College Uniform




I never really liked school uniforms.
They are restrictive and unimaginative. I always thought uniforms were for Manhattan private schoolers and the Japanese. However apparently, at my liberal arts university, there seems to be what I call the "college uniform," at least among the sorority girls. I suppose the purpose of this "college uniform" is to say 'I (my parents) have money and I fit in with these other rich girls.' But if you had money, wouldn't you want to deck yourself out in Mui Mui, or YSL, or whatever fashion-house-wallet-drain your choice. Of course then again, there aren't enough true fashionistas at my campus to recognize and gawk at your Stella Mccartney floral dress, and peer envy and admiration is the whole point. It's quite unfortunate that my school's sorority girls aren't quite on par with the "Gossip Girl" crew, or else I might actually have fun dissecting their outfits. What a sartorial disappointment!

And don't think the men are any better. It's always the same outfit: Ralph Lauren polos in every color, khakis, and more Rainbow flip flops (that are as fugly as Crocs and Birkenstocks).

No comments: