Monday, March 2, 2009

A Look At Prada Bags and Shoes

When it comes to bags and shoes, no one sets the trend quite like Miuccia Prada. As soon as the runway is over, underground manufacturers are trying to knock off the bags. Lets be honest, women love their Pradas. Next to the LV monogram, the triangle Prada plaque is the ultimate status symbol a woman can carry around her arm.

This year's collection was ... different. Much more severe- deep v cuts, lux materials, but fewer bells and whistles and strangely utilitarian.

Bags

The bag collection was more conservative. I can see a lot of working ladies carrying around the tote next fall. It didn't really show a new 'it' bag. Instead it focused on more classic shapes but in luxury materials- in this case, croc, velvet and fur. Not bad but not terribly interesting. I wasn't struck with intense window-shopping lust like I was for the SS08 Faerie collection.

Shoes

I can't say I'm a big fan of the shoes. In fact, I think they are rather hideous. The 1st pump is okay but only redeemed by the animal skin print. It looks a cross between 'school marm' and mountain climbing shoes. The ones that were all black looked even more so. At least no models fell or had to take off their heels. On the opposite end of austerity, there were pumps that looked like armored birds of paradise.

What do you think? Any resemblance?


And then there were these... which I dub 'leather wellies.' They are not fitted around the calves and worn with thick wool sock and a strap tied around the leg?? I'm confused Miuccia.


She also had uber tall versions of the 'leather wellie' which was strapped to the belt. Again, more question marks. Maybe Miuccia expects next fall to be very rainy because these boots certainly won't let water in. I'm going to restate my opening opinion that the collection was 'bizarrely utilitarian.'

No comments: