Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Goodwill Find

A lot of blogger style icons like Rumi and Susie Bubble, who like incorporating vintage, find some of their most memorable pieces at Goodwill stores. Because of them, I've always wanted to try my hand at scouring mounds of toss-aways for that one great vintage find. On a Sunday afternoon, I was having lunch with some friends at a Chinese buffet. It was my first time at the restaurant and in that part of town. While driving there, I noticed a Goodwill store. So after lunch, I was happy and satiated and decided to check out the Goodwill store.

The space was not very large but crammed with donated items. The first thing I check out was the dresses. I was looking for cute, fun, and obviously vintage. Instead I found oversized, polyester muumuus that look like they were bought in the bargain bin of some department store. Feeling disappointed with the dress selection even though there was so much stuff, I kind of just wandered around looking at the shoes and home section. Not feeling too enthused, I took a look at the skirts. Amazingly I found a cute JCrew skirt in my size, for $3.50. Not bad, I nodded my head. Off my bargain-finding high, I browsed around some more but didn't really find anything else I wanted to try. Just as I was about to checkout, I found some purses placed at the end of clothing racks that were separate from the purse section. Among them was a Chanel-like Bloomingdale's purse that was just divine. It had lovely gold hardware and quilted detailing, and was in good condition. Cost: Two Dollars. I can honestly say that was the best bargain I've ever found. I don't even care if it turns out to be a knockoff, I take pride that it was a $2 purse.


Photographed with my roommate's Talbot shoes because they matched.


Close up

No comments: