Monday, March 23, 2009

Colorful Cloth Pads (for That Time of the Month)

Warning: This is a feminine hygiene post so if you're a guy, best look away.

Does anyone use 'cloth pads' during their time of the month? I suppose those from an older generation, before disposable pads and tampons invaded our under-the-sink cabinet, may have used them. But I was really surprised to discover them on Etsy. At first, I thought the colorful cloth pads were plushie pads but then I was like, "who would want plushie pads?"




I clicked around the shop Pleat and discovered these 'plushie pads' were Muffies™. Here's what Pleat says about its cloth pads:

They are super soft and comfortable - no more chafing from disposables. Secure, highly leak resistant, chlorine free, environmentally friendly and frugal, what's not to love about them? Oh, and I bet you would be surprised how easy it is to keep them stain free and fresh: just rinse in cold water after use, fold and snap, and then run through the washing machine at your leisure (before they dry out is best). A bit of white vinegar added to your wash load is an amazingly effective, inexpensive, all natural deodorizer that eradicates odors and mildew and leaves them fresh as new.

From the 400+ positive reviews, it seems Muffies really work. One customers says:

I hate that "time" but these are so pretty and comfortable! Might as well spoil yourself for having to deal with "being a woman" Thinking about buying some?? Go for it, you won't be disappointed! ;)

With such raving endorsement, I can't help but be curious. The Muffies are darn cute but in the end, they will be stained and smelly. Personally, I like being able to throw the entire mess away instead of having to wash them. Plastic disposables are nice because they go straight to the trash, but on the negative side, they occasionally give me a rash. I'm also unsure how well the Muffies stay in place. They seem to be held in place by the buttoning the two wings, but will it shift as I walk? I might have to do the waddle and squeeze my thighs together to hold off a leak. Why is 'mother nature's gift' such a burden?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might want to do some research on it.

cloth-pads.livejournal.com/

labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/links_make.html

clothpads.wikidot.com/links